Altar Servers assist the Priest and Deacon during our liturgies. This ministry involves one major training session per year. Seasonal and special training is offered on an as-needed basis. Servers are scheduled once a month, though are encouraged to serve as often as there are openings. The ministry of Altar Serving at STM is open to both males and females from 4th grade (or age 10) through High School. Adults serve at our daily Masses and some of our funeral Masses.
For more information on Altar Server Ministry opportunities and how you may assist please contact the Ministry Leader.
General Norms for Altar Servers
- Servers should be mature enough to understand their responsibilities and to carry them out well and with appropriate reverence. They should have already received holy communion for the first time and normally receive the eucharist whenever they participate in the liturgy.
- Please remember that your ministry is important, and many people depend on you to fulfill your responsibilities. The parish needs you as a part of our worship to help things run smoothly and prayerfully.
- A good Altar Server is never a distraction to other people, always pays attention, learns and participates in the prayers, responses and singing and is reverent and prayerful.
- It is important to know that sometimes no matter how well prepared we are, things still go wrong. Should something go wrong or should you make a mistake, stay calm and do not panic. Quick movements may lead to tripping and to further mistakes. Just think for a moment, try to correct the problem and continue on. The Priest and the Deacon will help you in whatever way they can.
- The Alb, which the Altar Server wears, is a sacred vestment and should be handled with respect and care.
- Even though you will be wearing an Alb over your regular clothes, appropriate clothing should still be worn. Wear you Sunday best! Closed toed dress shoes are preferred over sandals and sneakers. If you don't own dress pants, then clean, nice jeans only, please. Girls may wear dresses, dress pants or jeans as described above. Shorts should not be worn on the altar.
- Always arrive 15-20 minutes before the starting time of the liturgy.
- When you are attending a Mass for which you are not scheduled to serve, please check to see if extra help is needed and be dressed ready to serve.
- The serving schedule can be found online at www.stmaustin.org. You will receive an email reminder on Monday before the weekend you are scheduled to serve.
- If you are unable to serve, please find a replacement. You can use the database to request a sub or ask another server directly. Having three Servers at each Mass is very important.
2013-2014 Guidebook for Altar Servers